About Principles & Choices
Principles and Choices is a revolutionary new high school program that helps students master the principles of logic, ethics, and justice that inspire them to live with purpose, moral integrity, and care for human life.
The program gives students a strong philosophical education in ten core principles that ground Church teachings on respect for human life, social justice, and many other contemporary issues.
Principles and Choices is designed for maximum flexibility. It can be taught in classrooms as a supplemental unit for a core curriculum subject such as philosophy, religion, social studies, or health. Yet it’s also adaptable for campus ministry programs, church youth groups, and even adult religious education. (Se
This supplemental curriculum can be taught as a four-week unit in each grade level, or shortened to fit available classroom time. Alternatively the learning can be extended over an entire semester by teaching one chapter on a particular day each week, or all the books can be combined and taught as its own course.
Check out our Implementation Guide for ideas on how to customize a program that is right for you.
Key features of Principles and Choices
P&C contains a wide variety of textbook, social media, internet, drama, DVD, and audio-visual resources to choose from. Teacher materials are comprehensive, including complete learning plans, pacing guides, guiding questions, lecture notes, assessment evidence, scripture and catechism references, downloadable assignments and handouts, and more:
- State of the art teacher manuals
- PowerPoint presentations for each chapter
- A 30-minute educational DVD teaching a core element of the curriculum, “The Four Levels of Happiness”
- A four-part audio drama, Robert & Emma, which teaches the material by chronicling the lives of high school best friends, Robert and Emma
- An attractive website offering teachers, students, and parents a content-rich tool which is also fully integrated with social media resources
- Cross-references to Scripture and the Catechism
- Cross-references to the USCCB Doctrinal Elements of a Curriculum Framework
- Cross-references to most major high school religion textbooks
- Published with the imprimatur of Archbishop of Seattle, J. Peter Sartain
The Principles and Choices program grew out of 20 years of research and practical experience that identified successful pedagogical methods to bring about an enduring change of convictions on the life issues.
Numerous studies have documented the degree to which students are influenced by anti-life attitudes prevalent in today’s popular culture. Many faith-based schools make an effort to counter this by emphasizing human dignity and including pro-life perspectives at various places in the curriculum. However, these efforts typically lack depth and cohesiveness. In contrast, Principles and Choices offers a focused, in-depth, systematic study of these issues. It inspires participants to live with purpose and moral integrity, and helps engender a lasting change of heart and mind.
To see the impact Principles and Choices has on real students and teachers, watch our short online video here.
Click here to downlaod a pdf brochure that includes information on all of the curriculum materials.